Friday, February 25, 2011

EDSA

In time for the 25th Anniversary of the People Power in EDSA, I have decided to write this blog to take part in its history. I was young when EDSA happened - note how I'm avoiding dating myself :) But nevertheless, I have one extremely strong memory of February 25, 1986.

I was lying in bed playing beside my Auntie Beng who was listening to the radio. My mom says that we were apparently listening to Radio Veritas which at that time was the only radio station reporting anything at all as other stations were shut off by the then President Marcos. I don't really remember much of anything else except that at some point during play time, Auntie Beng started crying. I was so concerned about why she started crying so I said, "Auntie, why are you crying? Please stop crying Auntie." And I remember she hugged me and said, "I'm very happy anak that's why I'm crying." So I asked, "So why are you crying?" She then replied, "Because we have a new President. Her name is Corazon Aquino." I don't know why but even then I knew that that particular moment was historic which is probably why I remember it to this day.

However, like most kids at that time, the meaning of EDSA was only a vague memory. I mean we all knew that yellow was a meaningful color and that the L sign meant Laban. However, as to the gravity of the situation I don't think most of us really understood until maybe a few years later when we started learning about it in school. So what does EDSA really mean to me? I remember a decade ago when EDSA 2 happened and I only had a radio to listen to as I didn't have a tv where I was living and it felt like I was so invested in it as I felt strongly about what was happening. But then looking back what I felt was probably no where near what those who experienced EDSA 1 felt.

So what does it mean to be under a dictatorship? What does it mean not to be free to say things against your own government? What does it feel like to be afraid to go out at night because you don't know if you're going to be a target of some abusive PCs? I don't know. But what I do know is I am very blessed not to know. So can we be grateful for something we've never experienced? YES! We must! Those who fought during EDSA Revolution were not just heroes, they were patriots. If only we can have more of them today.

So, happy 25th EDSA Anniversary Pinoys!

1 comment: