Friday, March 25, 2011

Musika

I really enjoy how things happen. One thing leads to another and then another and then another and you just see how things unfold. Today I ran across a tweet from someone I follow talking about how Tuesday night's American Idol was a really great episode and I happen to catch it this afternoon. This led to a series of big surprises on the show which were a lot of fun. But one thing that I wasn't expecting was to hear a song that I am currently enjoying a whole lot right now, Sugarland's Stuck Like Glue.

Earlier this afternoon I finally watched the much buzzed about song by Rebecca Black. I can absolutely understand how people find it funny and interesting just cause the lyrics are so inane. It's almost like Rachel Berry's song about her headband. Well, she is young and when she gets older she'll probably be embarrassed about all the hoopla the song has caused. But I can't blame her for trying. Someone once said to write about what you know and that's what she knows.

But I am writing about all of this because I feel like music has changed so much over the years. People used to be more romantic and mushy. Music used to be more elegant, beautiful, sophisticated. There was a sort of pride in the swells and it felt more emotional. Now I'm not trying to discount today's music but come one, is Friday's, "We-we-we so excited!" really something to get excited about? Okay, granted she's only 13 years old and she is writing to her audience but I just feel so sad that this is what popular music has become.

I'm not going to continue anymore as my intention for this blog wasn't really to hate on Rebecca Black's song. I just miss what music used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment